Friday 20 May 2011

You don't need funds to live well

One of the things my friends have been suggesting I blog about is on how to save money, and given that a change to a cheaper lifestyle is a big part of the adjustment to any change in circumstances that brings in a lower income, it's something I'm keen to address. My reluctance so far has come from the knowledge that the internet abounds in really good tips and advice and what could I possibly have to offer? Nothing except my own experience, which is after all the point of a blog, so what follows is part one of a seemingly random list of ways I've found so far to save money.

You'll notice the lack of sensible, dull actions like switching utilities and bank accounts etc, all the things moneysavingexpert says you should do. You should. I've made a start. But I don't want to write about that. My main concern is how to still do the things I love, and maybe find new things to do I didn't know I loved. So that's my focus. And part one, predictably for a blog, is all about eating and drinking.

Austerity meals.
This is actually a friend's idea, and one I haven't tried yet, but I loved it so much I've nicked it anyway. Like many of us child-free, solvent adults, she and her friends have been used to going out for meals on a fairly regular basis. I too am used to heading off to Pizza Express (admittedly with a 2 for 1 voucher) at the drop of a hat. Now that said friend and her friends are all down to part time work, they've agreed instead to have dinner at one another's houses, and each bring a course. You still get to celebrate with a slap-up meal, the host(ess) isn't responsible for the whole evening but shares the workload, there's no arguing over the bill at the end of the evening (maybe the washing up), and you can probably sink into a sofa with your coffee aftewards. Win-win.

Popping out for a cuppa. I'm sure you'll be the first to admit, we now have culture of spending an alarming amount of time and money in coffee shops. It's an expensive habit, and one I reckoned I'd give up more or less while between jobs. Actually, it's the treat I crave more than anything - if only for the change of scene. I stagnate if I stay at home, especially when faced with an endless and thankless list of job-hunting tasks. There's something soothing about the right cafe, with the right amount of background noise and buzz, and a comforting warm drink. If I'm feeling stuck at home, I sometimes find an hour in a cafe with a pad, paper and job application is amazingly productive. I have two places I can list so far, that fall into both the drinkable and the affordable categories:
    • Sainsbury's cafe in Maidenhead (85p for a cup of tea! I got breakfast for £1.50!) If you sit upstairs then the lack of atmosphere is not that noticeable, and it can be quite peaceful.
    • World cafe in Reading (about £1 for a cup of tea. They do a good hot chocolate too.) More atmosphere, global-ethnic-feel, food not that cheap but at least it tastes better than your average American brand coffee shop wrapped-in-plastic sandwich. And you can afford it with the money you save on the tea. A good place to meet friends, or sit in the window and watch the strange world of Reading go by.
I do have more tips to come, but I really don't want this blog to be just about me! So please share your own tips with me, I'm looking forward to them, and promise to give them a go (within reason) and report back here.

No comments:

Post a Comment