Tuesday 12 April 2011

Frogs for breakfast, lunch and dinner

I'm sure you've heard the phrase 'eat a frog for breakfast' by now. Google it - it's everywhere. Not sure who to attribute it to, but various sources suggested are Brian Tracy, author of Eat That Frog! to Mark Twain (surely he can't be responsible for all the quotes attributed to him on t'internet?) It's something my housemate is good at doing, and a philosophy I've used at work before now. Namely - That Task on your to-do list, the one you've been dreading, the one you would put off forever, the one that popped into your mind this morning when you woke up and your heart sank - do it straight away. Apparently it does wonders for your motivation and your effectiveness.


I've just got back from a very useful session with a Nextstep advisor, who very rightly diagnosed me with a severe case of the procrastination bug. I know what I need to do. I have the contacts, I have the tools, I have the time. I just don't want to do any of it. My entire to-do list consists of ugly, revolting frogs. (Why it's so difficult for me to do it will possibly be the topic of the next blog post - working title, Networking for Introverts.)

Solutions? Get someone to give you a good kick up the backside. Volunteers, please form an orderly queue at the front door. Give yourself a treat after each frog - to continue the metaphor, wash it down with something more palatable. That's all I have so far but I am open to suggestions - especially if any of you, my lovely readers, have actually read one of those 'how to get things done' type books and have other tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment