Tuesday 19 April 2011

Keeping motivated

I've had an encouraging response to the blog so far and would particularly like to thank the friends (?) who took such delight in taking literally my invitation to kick me into action. Those of you who told me you ate a frog as a result of last week's post - well done! I now have a copy of 'Eat That Frog' to read and am hoping for miracles (isn't that how these motivational books make so much money?)


Talking of motivation - I've heard it's common for energy levels to rise and dip dramatically during redundancy - I only wish that someone could tell me how long it lasts. Once I'd made my decision to accept voluntary redundancy, back in January, I couldn't wait to leave work and get on with all the stuff I had in mind, as part of the next chapter in my life. So I'm frustrated with my inability, now I have the time, to achieve anywhere near as much as I think I should be. There are some days I can get lots done and feel very positive; others when I can barely get started or even decide on what to do. I guess this may well have happened to me at work to some extent, but it's less noticeable when you know you're being paid to just get on with it no matter how you feel. For some reason, I can't do that for myself. It doesn't help when people naturally want to ask you, every time they speak to you, what jobs you've applied for recently, have you had any interviews, have you got a new job yet? No pressure then!

At this point I'd really like to hear from others who have been in the same situation and get some tips. In the meantime, I've found a favourite blog particularly helpful, it's called Bounce Back Cafe and recently they posted on what to do when you're stuck which I found gave me permission to stop beating myself up when defeated by the to-do list, and go off and do something else. Which is what I'm going to do right now, in the hope of a more motivated day tomorrow.

Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
— Mary Anne Radmacher

No comments:

Post a Comment