Wednesday 20 April 2011

Career change for beginners

I found an old email yesterday, from three years ago, reminding me of how I started thinking through this whole career change idea (and it has taken a lot of thinking - a vital part of the process). The email was very simple. It was five questions to ask yourself, if you really don't know what else you could do for a living:
  1. What activities do you enjoy?
  2. What subjects do you love most?
  3. What environments do you thrive in?
  4. What are you naturally good at?
  5. What's really important to you?
Not easy questions to answer. I suspect they came from one of the useful free resources I signed up for at that time, which I can recommend if you're even vaguely considering a change in direction. The first is a brilliant website called Careershifters which is full of free advice and success stories. It's run by experienced career changers and lots of career coaches, life coaches and similar inspirational types submit articles and advice. You can sign up for their regular newsletter and get a free top tips e-book. A lot of the authors also offer free newsletters and write very good blogs on a wide range of topics. My top site for beginner career changers.

What I did next was sign up for one of their London workshops, which then led me directly to the career coach company One Smart Step. At this point, having reapplied for my job, and realising I might be living on borrowed time at work, I invested in one-to-one career coaching with them. Four sessions with Sonia (read her blog Happy Mondays) led me to a much clearer idea of what I enjoy most about work and what I have to offer, a CV to be proud of, and a plan to put into action. And most of all, a newfound sense of confidence. Without Sonia I wouldn't have had the courage to take the leap of faith I did.

I realise not everyone will want to or be able to pay for one to one coaching. There is of course free advice from Nextstep, as I mentioned in an earlier post. It won't be as tailored to you and your particular situation but anyone is entitled to three free sessions a year, and you will get some useful tips. I've been lucky enough to meet several Nextstep advisors as part of my job, and all of them have been very knowledgeable.

It's great to know that there is a whole community of career changers out there, meaning no-one has to do this alone.

If you have to support yourself, you had better find some way that is going to be interesting.
Katharine Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment